Licensed Interior Designer, AAA, BID, IDC
I am a licensed interior designer in Edmonton, Alberta, offering full scope of services for new fit-up and renovation spaces. I provide interior design, feasibility studies and space planning services for corporate businesses, healthcare, medical, assisted living, educational, financial, retail, and residential interiors.
How am I different from a traditional interior designer …. what does a “licensed interior designer” mean?
The best way to describe this title is that I’m like an interior architect; I complete interior design drawings and Alberta Building Code reviews for the architectural discipline, which yields a stamped construction set and schedules for building permit applications required by the authorities having jurisdiction within Alberta.
Here are some details on my expertise:
- 30+ years experience as an interior designer and space planner, in both commercial and residential projects
- I am recognized to practice as a licensed interior designer through the Alberta Association of Architects
- I complete on-going training on building technology, ergonomics, environmental issues, and local building codes, while integrating my technical expertise with function & quality in design
- Fitwel Ambassador (Premier certification system for optimizing buildings improving health and productivity). I support health and wellness in the workplace
- Certification through the National Council of Interior Design Qualifications (NCIDQ)
- Graduate – Bachelor of Interior Design (BID), University of Manitoba, Faculty of Architecture 4 year program
- I have been a Curriculum writer for University of Alberta Faculty of Extension – Residential Interiors Decorating program
I strive to create an atmosphere where clients and business associates enjoy working with me. I spend time getting to know who the clients are and value their knowledge, talent and input.
I’ve been told my strong qualities and abilities are:
- Knows the questions to ask. Listens well to interpret project requirements and converting them into creative and effective solutions,
- Aims to understand the client’s business, its philosophies, and culture, while creating a space that’s compatible to the needs.
- Being flexible and responsive to the client’s wishes, while emphasizing value and respect for their project.
- Looks out for the client’s best interest.
- Working effectively with individual people or groups as a team player.
- Taking projects from beginning to end in a timely, organized and efficient manner.
I am connected with the following Associations and Affiliations:
- Licensed with Alberta Association of Architects (AAA)*, and registered member of Interior Designers of Canada (IDC)* and the Interior Designers of Alberta (IDA)*.
- Fitwel Ambassador (Certified 2019) – Fitwel is a certification system geared towards optimizing building design operations for health and productivity
- Successfully completed the National Council of Interior Design Qualifications (NCIDQ)* examination. (This exam measures competency of Interior Designers to practice as professionals in North America)
- 2016, 2017 Board of Director Member – International Facility Management Association (IFMA)
- 2016, 2017 Council Member – Interior Designers of Alberta (IDA)
- 2018-2020 Committee Member – Alberta Association of Architects- Practice Review Board
* These organizations establish standard of competence and conduct their practices in accordance with a prescribed code of ethics, thus assuring you a recognized level of skill and expertise. As a member of these associations, I am obligated to carry professional liability insurance, participate in ongoing professional development/training, and uphold a professional code of ethics and standard of practice.
I am not connected to any construction firm, nor do I sell products or materials.
Not all designers are the same. Get to know the difference between an interior decorator, an interior designer and a licensed interior designer. I encourage you to do your research on designers’ qualifications, experience level and related professional affiliations to be clear on what you are committing to.